Tuesday 17 March 2009

Branding...

I've been reading Fashion Brands by Mark Tungate and its helping me on my way to chose my sportswear brand! I've been on a bit of a journey with this branding situation as i want to find the perfect one for my outfit, without it being to obvious or totally insane. The book is about brands from Armani to Zara and i find the sportswear section particularly interesting. It raises questions such as "when did sportswear become streetwear? and "Did Nike and its competitors encourage this, or was it a creation of the street itself?" and it just made me think that the majority of people buying sports/athletic shoes will not use them for any kind of sporting activity! Yet high flying companies like adidas and nike have top athletes to set the standards as the shoe wearers!!! ...Which is another blog for another time....My point is, i've veered away from the big ones like fred perry and lacoste whose design philosophy is to keep it all quite simple and crisp, clear cut with the bright colours etc etc, I briefly looked at Sergio Tacchini (As seen on danny dyer) he started off with tennis wear moved onto nautical and I'm thinking....why couldnt he do a lifestyle range for women in a particularly dance inspired collection.....

I've also looked into sports/streetwear and hip-hop/dance labels, bringing up a few such as ECKO, phat farm, Rocawear, Zoo york...I'm not a hundred percent yet but i'm getting there. Just had to jot a few ideas down!

No comments: